Today I’ve been getting ready to make the base for the Dutch barge wheel. Steam bending is the most exciting thing you can do with a piece of wood. Here’s how it works:
1) Take 1 piece of wood
2) Steam cook at 100 centigrade for around an hour per inch (25mm) of thickness.
3) quickly take it out of the oven and bend it around something. Swearing is optional but usually helps the process.
4) leave the wood to cool while you go off and have a cuppa.
5) cry because the wood broke.
6) repeat until the wood doesn’t break.
Here’s attempt number 1